Jump to content
HomeInformation and guidance

Registration with the Danish authorities

Upon arrival in Denmark, you are required to register with the Danish authorities if your stay will be longer than 3 months. Non-EU/EEA citizens must obtain a residence and work permit from abroad, whereas EU citizens can obtain an EU registraiton certificate upon arrival in Denmark. Please note that different requirements apply based on the type and duration of your stay.

To ensure a smooth transition to your new life in Denmark, the International Staff Unit is happy to assist you with the registration process with the public authorities. Please sign up for Getting Started support and review the specific information below relevant for arrivals to Aalborg, Copenhagen or Esbjerg.

You do not have to register in Denmark, when your stay in Denmark is shorter than three months. However, If you receive payment from Aalborg University (AAU) during your stay, you need to register for a tax card with the Danish Tax Agency (Skattestyrelsen). 

Getting Started Support

As soon as your arrival date in Denmark is confirmed, we encourage you to sign up for the ISU Getting Started Support. Once we receive your registration, we will contact you and guide you through your registration with the Danish authorities.

Sign up for Getting Started Support

Digital ID / MitID

After you have registered for your CPR number, you need to obtain a digital ID (MitID), which will enable you to access the public self-service solutions online.

MitID is your digital signature, and you require this to open a bank account, access your digital post boxes (e-Boks and Borger.dk), access your tax file, etc.  

There are several options to obtain a MitID, however we do recommend the Get MitID with passport option.